Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pink or Blue?

One of the things that has surprised me the most in this pregnancy is the difference of opinion Bryce and I have on finding out the sex of the baby. I always assumed we'd be in the same boat since we both like to plan and be prepared. So, when I heard Bryce say he wanted to be surprised, I was shocked!

I spent the next several weeks trying to understand his position and convince him that finding out the sex is really a better option. Among my reasons were:
1. Eliminating having to choose a boy or girl name
2. Planning a nursery according to sex
3. Other people like to know (it's one of the first things they ask!)
4. Now I have plenty of time to shop for cute clothes, and obviously I will be busy later on!
5. I wanted to be able to imagine the person I'm growing inside me

...and ultimately:

6. We'll be surprised whether we find out during an ultrasound or in the delivery room!

Bryce left me hanging for awhile and I had many conversations with friends and co-workers about how I could convince him to see things my way. It seemed that most people sided with me, though there were some individuals who had waited to be surprised themselves or saw the excitement in the unknown. I sort of understood, but not really...

A couple of days before Christmas, Bryce and I decided to exchange gifts. As is tradition for him, Bryce handed me my gift wrapped in a pillow case. I pulled out two onesies: one pink and one blue. I asked Bryce what he was trying to tell me with these gifts...
He said "Well, I wanted to be the first one to buy the baby something. We can take back the one we don't need."
"When will that be?" I wondered, trying to see if he would cave.
"Well, we'll probably find out near the end of February, right?"

Yippee! He gave me exactly what I wanted. Of course I was thrilled and jumped around, as is tradition for me. Bryce said that although he still wanted to be surprised, he couldn't make me wait if I really wanted to know. What a guy, huh?

The ultrasound isn't scheduled yet, but we should be able to find out the sex (as long as Peter cooperates) toward the end of February/beginning of March. We'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way as you. It's a surprise no matter when you find out. (I just really wanted the surprise to be early!!) Patrick wants to wait until birth for the next one... I'm still wanting to wait. I guess we'll cross that boat whenever the next baby comes.

    ReplyDelete